Thursday, December 4, 2014

Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Potoates


The holidays are approaching which means that things are about to get a whole lot busier for me.  But trust me I know, you don't have to work as a chef to experience the busyness and the increased work load that comes with November and December. 


No complaints here though - when business is good - the chef is happy.  The only problem is that I have to devote so much of my time to preparing food for other people that the meals that I prepare for my own family - lack all originality.  Don't get me wrong, Mmy family doesn't complain about eating messed up spinach phyllo cups and cake scraps for dinner but I still feel guilty about not having healthy meals for them. 

This year, I am going to try and plan ahead with some quick and easy meals that I can make for Ben and Courtney even when I'm at my busiest.


Broccoli and cheddar stuffed potatoes are the perfect choice.
1. They are healthy. 
2. They fill your tummy with warm, cheesy goodness on a cool night.
3. They are topped with a vegetable.
4. My family will eat them. 

I found this recipe came in a Cooking Light magazine.  When life gets hectic at your house (and you know it will) these are a must. 


Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Potatoes
4 baking potatoes
1 Tablespoon oil
3 ounces thick cut ham, diced
2 Tablespoons minced onion
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups broccoli florets

Clean potatoes, pierce with a fork, wrap in foil and place in a 450 degree oven for 1 hour.   Let stand 10 minutes before slicing in half.
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.  Add ham and onion and saute 3 minutes.


Combine 1/4 cup milk and flour.  Add to pan.


Add remaining 3/4 cup milk.  Cook 3-4 minutes until thickened.


Remove pan from heat.  Stir in mustard, salt, pepper and cheese.








Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.  Add broccoli and cook 4 minutes.  Drain.


Drop into an ice bath.  Drain again.











 Slice each potato in half.


Spoon some cheese sauce over each potato.


Top with broccoli.














By the way - these stuffed potatoes make great lunches too.









Ciao!










No comments:

Post a Comment