Thursday, November 13, 2014

WInter Garden


I am loving the new garden that Ben and my dad built for me last year.  I had so much fun with my tomatoes and peppers this summer and now that we're heading into a cooler season - I planted a winter garden.


Since this is my first attempt at a winter garden, I headed to the garden center at the local garden center to check out the selection of plants for my winter garden.  There were a lot of nice leafy greens like Kale and swiss chard and lots of cabbage but we really don't eat a lot of those.  After brousing through the plants for nearly 30 minutes, I finally decided to stick to the basics - a lettuce garden and a few broccoli plants.  (Above)


Fortunately, there was a great selection of lettuce plants for me to choose from.  I ended up with red romaine...


green romaine,


red leaf lettuce,


 and butter lettuce.


A few weeks ago, I cut my first little bundle of lettuce.  (I was so excited.)


I got it all washed up, put it through the salad spinner and then laid it out on a towel to let it dry completely.


 And of course, I made a salad.


A few craisins, pistachios and some gruyere cheese finish off my salad perfectly.


A salad with the very freshest lettuce that grows in my own garden - delicious!

Ciao!















No comments:

Post a Comment