Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Marinated Flank Steak

Dog Days of Summer


Those of you who follow me on Instragram know that every Monday I post "Mondays with Mia" pictures on my Instragram.  I know it's silly but I just can't help myself.

It's been a while since I've blogged about Mia and I don't want my blog followers to feel neglected so it is with great excitement that I present to you - "A Day in the Life of ... Mia."  Yes, it's true, I followed Mia around with my camera for an entire day and documented her adventures so that I could share them with all of you.  (I need to get a life.)

A Day in the Life of ... Mia
6:00  Wake up, eat breakfast, poop


6:10  Back to sleep in my favorite spot - under the piano.


7:30 Take a walk with mom and my friend Tracy


8:00  Back to sleep while mom works out.


9:30  Move to the computer room so I can nap under the computer desk while mom works on the blog.


10:30 Back outside to chew a stick, eat some rocks and a potty break.


12:00  Hide in the corner, behind the rocking chair and under the curtain so mom can't find me when she wants to leave for the grocery store. (With my piggy for protection of course.)


12:15  Busted again and banished to the basement while mom grocery shops.


1:30  Mom is home.  Play time. 


4:30  Start to remind mom that dinner time is coming by doing my best to look pitifully hungry so she will feed me at exactly 5:00.


5:00 Dinner - happy dance.  Who says dogs can't smile?


5:30   Ben and Courtney walk in the door - happy dance times two.


6:30  Walk to the lake for an evening swim.


7:30  Bath Time.  :(


7:40  Roll around in the grass to "dry off."


8:00  Just enough time to play a quick game of hide and seek.


9:00  Bed Time


What a life!

Wouldn't it be funny if I documented my own day in selfies?  (For a girl who hates to have her picture taken - that would be torture.)


While Mia was busy playing and napping all day, I was marinating a flank steak for dinner.  I love dinners that I can prep in the morning and then just throw together at dinnertime.


This flank steak is one of those recipes.  It doesn't take long at all for this to grill up to perfection and I was able to make some roasted vegetables while it cooked.  It was a perfect summertime meal. 

 



Marinated Flank Steak
  • 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 cup Cooking Sherry
  • 3 Tablespoons Honey
  • 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons (heaping) Minced Ginger
  • 3 cloves (to 5 Cloves) Minced Garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 whole Flank Steak






Combine all ingredients in a glass or ceramic dish.

 





Remove flank steak from package and give it a quick rinse. Coat both sides of the meat with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 3 to 6 hours.


Remove the steak from the marinade and place on a plate while you heat up the grill.  Cook without touching for about 1 ½ to 2 minutes. Rotate the meat about 45 degrees, keeping it on the same side, and cook for another 1 ½ minutes.


Now flip it to the other side. Cook using the same method on the other side, cooking for 1 1/2 minutes, then rotating it and finishing the cooking process. I cook the flank streak to medium rare, which usually takes about 5 to 7 minutes total cooking time. Remove the meat to a cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.


When you’re ready, thinly slice the meat against the grain. That means find the directional striations/lines in the meat grain and slice perpendicular to it.


 Enjoy!


Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment