Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Walnut Crusted Salmon

I have to admit that it took some time for me to really appreciate the little town in Georgia that we've called home for the past 9 years.  It really has grown on me over the years and without me even realizing it, I've fallen in love with this little town.

From the Friday night summer concert series to the farmers market on Saturday mornings to the live nativity at Christmas, this town is never lacking for entertainment.  The once vacant store fronts are now home to some of my favorite places like the pizza shop and my favorite lunch cafe, an amazing bath store and a darling little boutique.  I find myself taking advantage of everything that my little town has to offer, now more than ever.

Last month, the town invited several food trucks to serve lunch and dinner.  It was a huge success.  I went for lunch with Courtney and some friends and it was PACKED.  The lines to order food from the trucks were outrageous but we chose to wait in the blazing hot sun for a food truck taco anyway because it's not everyday (or ever) that food trucks pull into our little town.  I was thrilled to see so many people coming out to support the trucks - who knows - maybe this could be a regular event in town.


The taco from gezzos was yummy but there weren't a whole lot of healthy options for customers ordering lunch from the trucks.  Surely, there are some food trucks out there that serve healthy food. 

Let's face it, eating out is never really the healthiest option so it's healthy eating at home for us.  This walnut crusted salmon is a great way to eat healthy and not miss out on delicious flavor. 

Walnut Crusted Salmon
4 salmon filets
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons honey
2 slices whole grain bread, pulsed into crumbs
3 Tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon thyme







Combine Dijon and honey in a small bowl.















Combine bread crumbs, walnuts, oil and thyme.







Brush salmon with honey mustard sauce.


Press bread crumb mixture into salmon.


Bake 15 minutes at 400.








 Yum.



You can tell from my lack of pictures that this is a super simple dish to prepare.  There really isn't any fussy prep work or complicated cooking technique.  Mix up a few ingredients, put it on the fish, toss it in the oven and voila - dinner. 
 
Ben ate two pieces of this salmon - one as and entree and the other as a sandwich between two pieces of homemade chiabatta bread.   Apparently it was really tasty as a sandwich as well. 

Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment