Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Corn Dogs

There is just something about food on a stick that is strangely appealing to me.  Seriously, if it can be put on a stick, I've tried it.

 Breakfast on a stick
 

Bread on a stick


Chicken on a stick


Fish on a stick


Fruit on a stick


Cake on a stick


Cookies on a stick


Brownies on a stick


You get the idea ... if it can be served on a stick - I've tried it.

Maybe it's because I have germ issues but I prefer not to hold my food in my hand. That could explain why I don't like to eat hot dogs or hamburgers.  I haven't figured out how to get a hamburger on a stick yet but I do know how to eat a hot dog without touching it - hello, corn dog!  (I know - I'm a genius.)

Pretty sure most people don't like to eat corn dogs because it keeps their hands off of their food - they eat them because they're good.  Let's face it, a hot dog covered in a deep fried batter - what's not to like?  Courtney loves corn dogs and I don't normally buy them and keep them in the house so it's a treat for her to have them when we go out.

I've made homemade corn dogs in the past and they were pretty good but I found a new recipe for Corn Dogs in my taste of home magazine and for some reason, they just sounded really good. 
They were called Indiana Style Corn Dogs and I have absolutely no idea why Indiana has their own style of corn dogs but I can tell you that they were good. 


Corn Dogs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash of pepper
1 egg
1 cup evaporated milk
12 hot dogs
 








Whisk together first eight ingredients.












Whisk together egg and milk.














Whisk wet ingredients into dry.













Pour batter into a tall glass.









Insert a skewer into each hot dog.














Dip hot dogs, one at a time, into glass of batter.  Allow excess to drip off.








Fry in hot oil for 2-3 minutes on each side.


 Drain on paper towels.


 Enjoy!



No need to go to the fair this summer for your corn dog.  Now you can make them at home and they are even more delicious.

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment