Thursday, August 14, 2014

Chiabatta Rolls


If I was a professional bread baker - I think I would weigh 300 pounds.  I have absolutely zero will power against the sweet aroma of bread baking in the oven.  I can't tell you how many times I have burned my mouth because I tried to eat a piece of bread - straight out of a 450 degree oven.  It seems like it takes an eternity for it to cool so I guess I figure it's worth the risk the third degree burns on my tongue and bite right into it.

It really doesn't even matter what kind of bread it is.  I like all almost all kinds.  Whole wheat, multigrain, white, french, baguettes, you name it.  The only thing that really doesn't excite me is sourdough bread.

I've been so focused on cakes lately that I haven't had much time for bread making.  That all changed when I found this recipe Chewy Italian Rolls in the King Arthur catalog.  I doubled the recipe because really, what's the point in making just a dozen rolls?


Chewy Italian Rolls
Biga
3 cups flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon yeast

Dough
5 cups flour
1 cup water
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon yeast

For the biga: Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.  Cover and let reset at room temperature 12-20 hours.


For the dough: Mix the biga with remaining ingredients in stand mixer.  Knead for 4 minutes.  Place in a greasaed bowl, cover and let rest 1-2 hours.


 Turn dough out onto floured countertop.


Shape into a rectangle.


Use a knife to cut dough into 3 inch squares.


Place squares on a silpat lined baking sheet, cover and let rise 45 mintues.


Bake 13 minutes at 450.


WAIT for them to cool (that was for my benefit) and enjoy.


 I'm hungry from more bread just from typing this blog post.  Lucky for me, its already cool.

Ciao!








No comments:

Post a Comment