Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Grilled Shimp Salad with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette


I think I could eat grilled shrimp on a big green salad every single night in the summer.  I just love the combination of the warm shrimp and the crisp, cool salad.

I also like to load my salad up with juicy, red strawberries, tangy crumbled feta and crunchy pistachios.  What better way to highlight the freshness of summer?  As far as a dressing goes, the simpler the better in my book.  A simple lemon vinaigrette or a light and tangy poppy seed dressing is the way to go.

I've been making poppy seed vinaigrette for years and as a matter of fact, I really don't even measure my ingredients anymore, I just put the ingredients together in a little bowl so that I have enough for 1 or 2 salads.   It's so easy that I really can make it fresh whenever I'm in the mood. 

This is my basic poppy seed dressing recipe.  (You can even leave out the poppy seeds if you want to avoid little black seeds in your teeth.)

Poppy Seed Dressing
Apple Cider Vinegar (About 2 Tablespoons)
Sugar (About 2 teaspoons)
pinch of salt
dry mustard (About 1/4 teaspoon)
fresh ground pepper
Olive oil (About 1 Tablespoon)
Poppy Seeds (About 1/2 teaspoon)

Combine all ingredients, except oil in a small bowl.  Drizzle in oil while whisking.


There you go - a great little poppy seed vinaigrette.

I served my vinaigrette a grilled shrimp salad so I thought I would give you my instructions in case you wanted to recreate my yummy summer salad.

Grilled Shrimp Salad
Peel and devein 1 pound of shrimp.


 Thread onto wooden skewers.


Brush each side with oil and then season with salt and pepper.


Place on grill until cooked through.


Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes.


 Place shrimp skewer on top of salad and drizzle with poppy seed dressing.


Summer salads just don't get any better than that.

Ciao!








No comments:

Post a Comment