Monday, June 30, 2014

Grilled Chicken with Peach Salsa


Since I live in Georgia, I feel somehow obligated to incorporate peaches into our summer meals.  I'm pretty sure that they can't kick me out of the state for NOT eating my fair share of the peach crop but nonetheless, I feel it's only right that I eat peaches - in Georgia.  (Certainly don't want to risk extradition from Georgia for not consuming my share of peaches.)

The truth is that I hardly EVER see a peach tree in this state.  (I hear that they are south of Atlanta but I don't travel down there very often.)  To be perfectly honest, most of my peaches come from the grocery store and not the peach orchard that I'm you might be imagining in my backyard. 

What I do have a lot of is fresh herbs from my garden so when I found a recipe for peaches AND fresh herbs from Cooking Light, I thought I would give it a try. 

Check out my mint and my purple basil. (I got to use both in this fun summer recipe.)


I'm not normally a big fan of fruit salsa but this one just looked too good to resist.


Grilled Chicken with Peach Salsa
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
6 garlic cloves
4 chicken breasts
1 Tablespoon chopped red onion
1 Tablespoon fresh purple basil (or green basil)
1/2 Tablespoon fresh mint
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 ripe peach
1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
salt









Combine oil, cumin and garlic in a ziploc bag.  Add chicken and refrigerate for 1 hour.








To prepare salsa, combine remaining ingredients.


Grill chicken.


Serve with salsa.


Of course, the kids didn't appreciate the peach salsa.  I thought it was mighty tasty though.  I love the color that the purple basil gave it and the mint gave it a nice light flavor.  I think this recipe is a keeper.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment