Saturday, June 7, 2014

Cherry Limeade Cupcake

There is nothing better than an ice cold cherry limeade on a hot summer afternoon.  I'm partial to the cherry limeade at Sonic but I'm really not all that picky - I'll try a cherry limeade from just about anywhere.  I've even made them for myself at home.  (You can check out that blog post here.)


Naturally, I decided to turn my favorite summertime drink into a cupcake.  (Doesn't everybody devise ways to turn beverages into cupcakes?) 


It's fun to experiment with new cupcake flavors and recipes but it can also be a little frustrating.  It's not always as easy as I think it's going to be when I start substituting ingredients and changing quantities of ingredients.


This wasn't a bad first attempt at Cherry Limeade Cupcakes but I think with a few more tweeks, it will be perfect. 

Cherry Limeade Cupcakes

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract






Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line 2 (1/2 cup-12 capacity) muffin tins with cupcake papers.
In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.









In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.  Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.



 
 







Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.










Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the limeade and vanilla.   Add a couple drops of green food coloring.


With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
 

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.  Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes.  


My cupcakes sunk slightly in the middle.  I'm not really sure what causes that but they were still  salvageable. 

Cherry Buttercream
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
pinch salt
2 cups butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice

Combine egg whites, sugar and salt in bowl of mixer.  Put over double boiler and whisk over simmering water until sugar melts and mixture is warm.   (130 degrees)  Transfer to mixer and beat with whisk until cooled and thickened.  Switch to flat beater and beat in butter 1 Tablespoon at a time.  Add cherry juice.


Frost cupcakes.


Summer is here and I have my cherry limeade cupcake - life is pretty sweet.

Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment