Saturday, June 28, 2014

Almond White Cake


I bake cakes for a living and sometimes I use words to describe cakes that might not be clear to people who are not professional bakers.  (My family reminds me of this ALL the time.)  It happens completely by accident and I don't intentionally try to diminish anyone's cake knowledge, it's just that I get used to using words like yellow cake and white cake and assuming that the person that I'm speaking too, understands the difference.

So just to clear up any further confusion, I want to make it clear what I mean when I use the words "white" and "yellow" cake.  A yellow cake is rich and buttery and contains whole eggs.  A white cake is made with egg whites and it's usually lighter, fluffier and sometimes referred to as "sponge" cake.  Both are delicious and most people prefer one over the other but often use the terms white and yellow cake interchangeably.

Now that you know the difference, if your preference is white cake - I've got the perfect recipe for you.   This is one of my go-to recipes and I've used it to make all sorts of other cakes like my pink lemonade cake and my chocolate chip cake.  It's super delicious and it never lets me down.   

Almond White Cake
2 cups flour             
1 Tablespoon baking powder     
½ teaspoon salt           
¾ cup butter                
2 teaspoons vanilla           
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup milk
5 egg whites










Combine dry ingredients.







Beat butter 2 minutes.


Add sugar gradually.


Beat in extracts.  Add 1/3 of flour, ½ of milk and repeat.


Beat egg whites until stiff.


Fold into batter.


Pour into prepared pans.


Bake 30 minutes at 350. 


Cool on wire racks.


Frost and decorate as you like.


Ciao!




2 comments:

  1. Can you advise on making lovely chocolate curls as in your pic above? I've tried following ideas on several sites and they never turn out whole and nice like yours. Please let me know your secret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a block of Callebaut white chocolate and a shaving tool. I had to microwave the chocolate for 5-10 seconds at a time to get it a little softer so I could curl it. It does take some practice - don't give up. You'll get better at it.

      Delete