Thursday, May 22, 2014

Red Velvet Brownies

It's taken some time but I've finally come to the realization and accepted the fact that I am raising "Southern" children.  My official evidence that I have a Southern girl --- Courtney's obsession with red velvet cake.  (For those of you that have always lived in these wonderful Southern states, red velvet is not a flavor that is nearly as popular in the North as it is here.)  As a matter of fact, I never even heard of anything that was red velvet until I moved away from my home state of Ohio. 

Since moving South I've grown to appreciate the slight cocoa flavor in a great red velvet cupcake but it's really Courtney who has developed a love of anything red velvet really.  When I came across a recipe for Red Velvet Brownies on theskinnychickcanbak.com, I just had to make them for my sweet Southern girl.


Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Icing
  • 1 stick (1/2cup) butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons red food coloring
  • Frosting:
  • 1 stick ( 1/2 cup) butter, at room temperature
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 ounces white chocolate, melted
  • 1/2 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 350º. Line 8 x 8 pan with nonstick foil or regular foil. Grease regular foil with cooking spray if using.
In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder, food coloring and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla to form a paste. Set aside.









With a mixer, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.







Add eggs, one at a time, then add second teaspoon of vanilla.

 
Then beat in cocoa paste.


Add flour and salt, and mix just until combined.


Spread in pan.


Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cool before frosting.
Cream butter with mixer till fluffy. Add vanilla.


Slowly mix in powdered sugar, then white chocolate.


Add enough milk to reach desired consistency.


Ice cooled brownies.


 Cut and enjoy.


These brownies were really good.  My only critique is that I think the icing should have been a cream cheese icing.  Traditionally red velvet is accompanied by cream cheese frosting and they flavors really seem to compliment each other nicely.  I'm not complaining about this version because it was darn good - just thinking I might have to make another batch soon with cream cheese.

Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment