Thursday, May 29, 2014

Blueberry Vanilla Muffins

Ben loves blueberry muffins so I make them fairly regularly.  (Especially in July which is fresh blueberry season in Georgia.)  These are two of my favorite blueberry muffin recipes...



As if that wasn't enough, I am adding a new blueberry muffin recipe to my repertoire - blueberry vanilla muffins.  I found this recipe on damndelicous.net.  Her recipe uses vanilla bean paste which I didn't really want to invest in because it can be pretty pricey so I substituted vanilla extract.  I was a little disappointed in the result.  These muffins didn't rise nicely, they didn't brown and they turned really purple.  On a positive note - what they lacked in appearance, they made up for in taste.  They were yummy.


Blueberry Vanilla Muffins
Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 2 tablespoons sparkling sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners or coat with nonstick spray; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sugar, butter and egg. Stir in vanilla.


Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.


Add blueberries and gently toss to combine.


Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray.


 Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.


Place into oven and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.


As you can see - these muffins are not much to look at.  They actually are quite delicious but they are deceptively ugly. 

I'm not sure that I would make this version again but if you think you can make them better - by all means give it a try and let me know how to fix this recipe so that my muffins look as beautiful as they taste.
Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment