Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pizza Factory Breadsticks



For those of you that don't already know this about me - I am a self confessed bread junkie.  I LOVE homemade bread.  I bake bread all the time and I thought that I was pretty in touch with the latest and greatest in the world of bread.  I am always researching new bread recipes and flours, etc.  The other day I just happened to be on Pinterest when these twisted breadsticks from www.sweettreatsmore.com caught my eye.


I had what Oprah would call a "light bulb moment."  Why had it never occurred to me that I should be twisting my bread dough around a skewer to create a delightfully playful little carbohydrate treat?  It seriously is a genius idea.  I'm not sure I would call it life changing but I don't think I can ever go back to making plain old straight breadsticks ever again.


Pizza Factory Breadsticks
Ingredients
1 Tbsp. yeast
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 c. flour 
3/4 c. melted butter, divided
3/8 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
8 - 12″ skewers

In a bowl mix the yeast, sugar, and warm water together and let sit for 2-3 minutes until foamy.
 
Add oil, salt, and flour and either knead by hand or using dough hook for about 5 minutes.  (If dough seems too sticky add an extra tbsp or two of flour).  
Place dough in a greased bowl turning once to coat, then cover with a towel and let rise until doubled.  (About one 1 hr) 

 





Divide dough into 16 equal parts (about 4 oz each). Lightly cover your hands with flour and roll each part into a 12 inch long snake.  
Moisten the skewer or dowel with water at the top where you will start wrapping the dough.  Wrap the dough around the skewer or dowel down to the bottom. Moisten the skewer where the breadstick will end as well.  ( Leave about 1/4 of an inch at the top and bottom and about 1/4 of an inch at the top.)


Place on a silpat lined baking sheet and let rise until doubled again.


 






Brush with 1/4 cup melted butter.  
 















Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden.  

 



Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/2 cup melted butter, garlic salt and rosemary.
Immediately brush seasoned butter mix on breadsticks when they come out of the oven.


Want to know why I love these breadsticks so much?  Because I can serve them in a bucket!




 Or in a bowl!


 Or in a pretty dish!


These breadsticks will look great no matter how you serve them.


Enjoy!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment