Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Italian Bread


Do you know what happens when you make 3 different kinds of bread dough in one afternoon?  I do.  I gigantic loaf of Italian bread happens!!!  Seriously - this loaf of Italian bread was huge.

It was a result of poor timing really.  I started out making a batch of bread dough and while that was rising, I started a batch of whole wheat roll dough.  I set that on the counter to rise and then I started a batch of Italian bread dough.  No problem.  Three doughs rising perfectly on the counter.  Everything was going smoothly UNTIL I started to bake the first batch of bread and realized that my Italian dough was going to have to wait a REALLY long time before I could bake it.  (Like a couple of hours long!)  It just kept rising and rising and rising.

I should really know better than to try and make all of that bread in one afternoon.


I sliced the giant loaf of Italian bread and despite it's gargantuan size, it was really tasty.  It didn't seem to really be affected by the 3 hours of proofing.  I was pleasantly surprised.

This recipe came from www.micheleswomancave.blogspot.com.  She made her bread in a bread machine so I modified her recipe to make it without. 

Italian Bread
3 cups bread flour
2 1/2 tsp bread machine active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp extra light virgin olive oil

1 large egg slightly beaten
1 tbsp water







 




Combine yeast, water and brown sugar.  Let sit until foamy.






Add flour, salt and olive oil and knead.  Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.  



Remove from bowl.   Place dough on a siplat lined baking sheet and shape into a loaf.  Use a sharp knife to cut a slit down the center.



Cover and let rise 1 hour.  (or 3)


 
 



Brush top of bread with the mixture of 1 beaten egg and 1 tbsp water.  Bake until a golden brown.





 



Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F



I am anxious to make this recipe again without over proofing the dough and see how it turns out. I have to admit, this giant Italian loaf - not so bad.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment