Thursday, March 27, 2014

Herb Roasted Chicken

Anyone else out there struggle with menu planning, grocery list making and grocery shopping?  For some reason it seems to be getting harder and harder for me to sit myself down and plan out meals for our week.  Maybe it's because I'm trying to schedule meals around soccer games and baseball games or maybe it's because I just get frustrated that I take the time to plan and then it all goes out the window because of unexpected activities.  Either way, I am struggling to plan - and stick to - a meal schedule.  I'm not ready to forgo the meal plan altogether but I am trying to be a little more flexible in my planning lately. I'm planning 4 meals a week (two of which can be packed and taken to a ball game) and then filling in the rest of the week with leftovers and impromptu meals.  (I am learning to embrace the challenge of creating a meal with ingredients that I have on hand.)

Our menu for the week looked something like this:
Roasted Turkey Breast
Spice Rubbed Salmon
Stacked Turkey Enchiladas
BBQ Turkey Pizza

There is it, my menu plan for the week and I had a grocery list to accompany it.  The only thing worse than not having a grocery list is having a list and getting to the store only to realize that they don't have what you need!  Uuuggg!  Soooo frustrating.  You can see that my menu was centered around the fact that I was going to roast a turkey breast on Monday and use the meat for the rest of the week but when my supermarket had zero turkey breasts, so I had to make a quick change of plans. The supermarket did have whole chickens on sale so I decided to swap my turkey for chicken and just go with it.

I brought my chicken home and did a quick pinterest search to find a great roasted chicken recipe.  Honestcooking.com to the rescue.  They had this amazing spice rubbed chicken on their website that made me forget all about my plans to make a turkey. 


Herb Roasted Chicken

1 whole chicken
1/2 tsp salt & pepper, of each
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp of each dried basil, oregano, thyme , rosemary,
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 cup (250 ml) warm water

Rinse chicken and pat dry.  Place in a baking dish.








Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, basil, oregano, thyme rosemary and parsley.







Rub under skin of chicken.







Dissolve bouillon in hot water.  Pour into bottom on baking dish.





















Roast chicken 2 hours at 350.



 Transfer to a platter and tent with foil.



Slice and serve.

 

This was a great weeknight meal AND there are plenty of leftovers to use in my stacked chicken enchiladas and BBQ chicken pizza.  (Look for those recipes on the blog soon.)

Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment