Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Sweet Potato Soup



I never thought I would use the words Polar Vortex but it certainly seems like an appropriate term to describe the weather system that moved through the country last week. 

There is no denying it - it was cold - even in Atlanta!  No complaints about the chilly weather from me though. - I know that our thermometers don't reach the severe temperatures that some places dip into this time of year. 

There is no better way to warm up on a cold day than sitting in front of a nice warm fire with a steaming hot bowl of soup.  I've been making (and eating) lots of soup lately.   (And making lots of fires to sit in front of as well.) 

I tried a sweet potato soup a few weeks ago - a recipe that I got from the November Bon Appetit magazine.  It didn't taste at all what I thought it would taste like but it was still good.  

Sweet Potato Soup
2 pounds sweet potatoes, halved
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 ounce parmesan cheese

Place potatoes, cut side down, on a foil lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 until fork tender.


Scoop flesh from skin into a bowl of a food processor.  


 Heat oil in skillet.  Add onion and saute 2-3 minutes.


Add cumin and pepper and cook 1 minute.









Add broth and bring mixture to a boil.







Let cool slightly and transfer to food processor along with sweet potato. Pulse until smooth.


Serve with shaved parmesan.



This soup is thick and creamy and hearty - without any cream!  (Bonus)  The recipe actually calls for a some crispy bacon to be crumbled on top and as I don't doubt that bacon would make this yummy soup even more amazing - I didn't want to add the extra fat.  I love the salty cheese with the soup and it had just enough HEAT to make it interesting.  I highly recommend this soup to anyone who likes sweet potatoes. (or anyone who just likes warm soup)

Ciao!
















No comments:

Post a Comment