Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Raspberry Basil Balsamic Vinegar


Have you ever been to one of those gourmet food stores where you can sample flavored vinegars and oils from large vats?  I am completely addicted to fruit flavored vinegars - thanks in part to one of those specialty vinegar stores and their cherry balsamic vinegar.  It's so good that I can put it on my salad and I don't even have to add oil. 

I decided to try my hand at my own fruit infused vinegars.  I turned to the internet for inspiration and found out it really is as simple as it seems.

I started with a simple recipe for Raspberry Basil Balsamic vinegar.
Start with some really good white wine or white balsamic vinegar.


Chop some fresh basil.


I put the basil and vinegar in a saucepan along with some fresh raspberries.







Bring the mixture to a boil.  I crushed the raspberries with the back of a wooden spoon.







Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and then strain into jars for storage.  I didn't use cheesecloth to strain my vinegar so I got a little bit of fruit pulp in my vinegar but I kind of like that. 



I decorated my jars with a hand written label and a raffia bow.











I was so happy with my Raspberry Basil Vinegar that I decided to try another kind.  I followed the same process to make some Lemon Thyme Blueberry Balsamic vinegar too. 


The second vinegar was just as good as the first.  I store my fruit infused vinegar in the refrigerator and I'm going through it quickly because it is REALLY good on salads.

Ciao!







1 comment:

  1. Do you think this would be ok to put in water. I get flavored vinegar from a shop and use in drinking water but very expensive

    ReplyDelete