Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Mango Fruit Roll Ups


It's a SNOW day!!!  OK, so technically there is no snow in Atlanta so its just a COLD day but either way - it's a no school day!  My kids were so excited to hear that they don't have to wake up early for school this morning.  (Secretly, I was pretty stoked about that too.)










I think that Atlanta hit some record low temperatures this morning.  Our thermometer read 9.







I was feeling mighty chilly over our single digit temperatures until I talked to my parents in Ohio.  They were reporting temperatures of negative 30 with windchill.  NEGATIVE THIRTY!!!  Holy Moly that's cold. 

Even though our temperatures won't drop nearly that low, the house still felt chilly yesterday.  To keep myself warm while I was working in the kitchen, I decided that I needed to crank up the oven.  This recipe for homemade mango fruit roll ups from www.justataste.com was the perfect thing: 3-4 hours of low baking time.  What better way to heat up my kitchen?


Mango Fruit Roll Ups

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 175ºF and line two rimmed baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.







 
Dice 3 mangos.   You will need 4 cups of diced fruit.







Puree the mango in a food processor or blender until smooth.
 

Divide the purée evenly between the two prepared pans, and using an off-set spatula, spread the purée as flat and as evenly as possible until it's about 1/8-inch thick.


Bake the purée for 3 to 4 hours.


The fruit roll-ups are done when the purée is dry to the touch and pliable. If the bottom side of the roll-ups is still wet after some time, flip the roll-ups over and continue baking them until they are fully dried.
Remove the roll-ups from the oven. Place a piece of wax paper on top of the roll-ups and then peel off the wax paper and the roll-ups together.









Cut the sheet into long strips.













Roll up the strips.














I thought these were really yummy - my family - not so much.










Maybe I should have started with strawberry fruit roll ups.  Oh well, can't win them all.








How are you going to keep warm today?  As for me, I'm thinking that a big pot of chili is in order.






It's going to be a cold one out there today.  Stay warm blog friends.


Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment