Monday, January 6, 2014

Black Bean Soup with Roasted Poblano Chiles



These may be some of the worst pictures of a soup that I have ever taken.  Seriously, this bowl of soup looks so unappetizing.  The good news is that it didn't taste anything like it looks.  It is REALLY good.  Don't be thrown off by the weird pictures - those are my fault for not doing this soup any justice.  Trust me when I tell you - it's way better than it looks.

This recipe came from my Bon Appetit magazine.  It is super simple and really delicious.  I changed a few things in the recipe so I will give you my version of the recipe.

Black Bean Soup with Roasted Poblano Chiles
2 poblano chilies
2 Tablespoons shelled pumpkin seeds
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
48 ounces chicken broth
2 cans black beans, drained
1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco







Slice poblano peppers in half and take out seeds and ribs.  Place on a foil lined baking sheet and place under broiler until blackened on top.












Place peppers in a paper bag and let sit for 15 minutes.









Remove from bag, peel skin off pepper and chop.









I shelled the pumpkin seeds from our Halloween pumpkins.







Heat oil in saucepan.  Add onion and garlic and cook 8-10 minutes.


Transfer to a blender and puree with tomatoes.


 Return to saucepan and cook 8-10 minutes longer.









Stir in broth, season with salt.  Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.  Stir in poblanos.






Use an immersion blender to puree soup.  (I think this is where the color of my soup went a little OFF.  The green of the poblano and the red from the tomatoes just made a weird color combination.)









Stir in beans.







Ladle into bowls and top with pumpkin seeds and crumbled cheese.


This is the perfect soup for a cold winter day.  Trust me - If MY kids eat it - it must be good.  So don't take it from me - take it from them.  There were 4 empty bowls on the table after this meal.  (Yea!)

 Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment