Monday, December 9, 2013

Steak Pizzaiola



Like so many moms out there, I say "I love you" to my kids, multiple times a day.  (If I say it enough maybe one day they'll understand just how much they're loved.)  But, I also want them to know that I like them.  I genuinely like spending time with them, having fun with them, getting to know their friends and just acting silly with them.  I want my kids to know that they are some of my very favorite people.

We got to spend lots of time together this year on the kids Fall break.  It was a opportunity to just hang out as a family so we took full advantage of the kids being out of school and made a quick trip to Savannah.  It was a great place to get away - and to preview a few colleges in the process.


Sometimes, spending time with the kids comes at the expense of making dinner.  On those nights, we opt for a super quick meal and quite honestly, the kids would rather have family time than a gourmet dinner.  I made these steak pizzaiola one night that I was in a hurry and I didn't have much time to get dinner on the table.  It turned out to be one of the kids favorite meals.  (Who would have guessed?)

Steak Pizzaiola
1 pound boneless sirloin steak
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/2 Tablespoon oregano
15 ounce can diced tomatoes
8 mini ciabatta rolls
2 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
16 torn basil leaves

 Heat 3 teaspoons oil in skillet.  Season steak with salt and pepper.


Add steak to pan and cook until browned.  Remove from pan.










Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan.  Cook garlic until fragrant. 








Add oregano and tomatoes.








Cook 6 minutes until thickened.








Slice steak into thin strips.













Add to tomato mixture.











Place bread on a boiler rack and place under broiler until browned.











Top with steak and tomato mixture and cheese.


Place under broiler again until cheese is melted and browned.


Top each with a fresh basil leaf.


My son actually said to me "As soon as wrestling season is over - I want you to make these for me again."  That is a HUGE compliment in my world so it looks like I'll be making these again in February.

Ciao!










No comments:

Post a Comment