Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Honey Lime Chicken








Birthday's are kind of a big deal in the Davis house.  I'll be honest, we'll find any excuse that we can to have a party.  (and eat cake)  We even celebrate Mia's birthday.






Mia had a little stuffed pig toy when she was a puppy that she absolutely loved.  It didn't take her long to tear through the fabric and rip out the squeaker and remove all of the stuffing from it's fluffy pink belly though.  (I think it lasted a total of 6 hours.)  I sewed that pig together more times than I want to remember.  After about a year Mia had shredded it into such tiny pieces that I just couldn't seem to piece it back together anymore.  I had to throw the piggy remnants away. 

I think that throwing her favorite toy away really traumatized her though because ever since then, she has become absolutely obsessed with the kids stuffed animals - especially their pigs. 

Whenever Mia wants to get Ryan's attention, she'll run up to his room, steal the stuffed piggy off of his bed and parade around the house with it in her mouth. 


Courtney has a piggy pillow pet that Mia absolutely loves too.  Mia's been known to crouch behind her bed until no one is looking and pounce on the piggy. (And Courtney if she happens to be lying in the bed at the time.)  It's pretty big but she still manages to run around the house with it in her mouth.


Maybe she's still looking for her pig that she had when she was a puppy.  I looked for a replacement pig for years and I could never seem to find one similar to the first.  Eventually, I stopped looking. 

I happened to be picking up dog food in Wal Mart just before her birthday and I spotted a pink pig stuffed toy.   I was similar to her first pig and I couldn't resist - I just HAD to get it for her birthday.  I fully expected her to immediately rip out the squeakers (like she does to all of her toys) and to tear it apart but I knew she would love it for a short time anyway.

Well, turns out - she LOVES her piggy so much that she treats it with extreme care.  She naps with piggy and carries it around the house all day!  She even uses it as a pillow!  


This is the same dog that will chew a tennis ball to shreds in less than a minute if she gets a hold of one.  She is seriously destructive to all dog toys so it's completely shocking to see her treat this pig with such care.  (Maybe she really does have a sensitive side.)


The stuffed pig turned out to be a great birthday present for our 6 year old dog. 

What does all of that have to do with the recipe of the day?  Absolutely nothing but I just couldn't bring myself to attach my piggy story to a pork recipe.   (That just wouldn't be right.)

Today's recipe came from my taste of home magazine.  This honey lime chicken was really tender and juicy and delicious. 

Honey Lime Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup honey
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper







Combine wine, honey, lime juice and ginger.









Pour into a ziploc bag, add chicken and refrigerate 2 hours.












Remove chicken from marinade, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.













 
 Grill chicken breasts until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.










Serve with couscous and green beans.


Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment