Thursday, December 26, 2013

Homemade Kahlua



I have been absolutely dying to post this recipe since early November when I made my first batch of Homemade Kahlua.  But ... since I was giving away jars of my homemade concoction as Christmas gifts to family and friends, I didn't want to post it on the blog before Christmas and ruin the surprise.

Have no fear though - even though Christmas 2013 has past, you've still got plenty of opportunities to make a batch of your own homemade kahlua to pass out to your friends and family.  It would be a wonderful hostess gift for anyone hosting a New Years Eve Party.

I got the recipe for homemade kahlua from Cooks.com.  It was REALLY simple and it leaves a lot of room for creative interpretation.  You could easily change up the coffee flavor, add some almond in place of the vanilla, play with the amount of alcohol and the strength of the coffee.  The sky's the limit - use this recipe as a guide and run with it.   (Make sure you send me a comment with your results though so I can continue tweeking my concoction.)

The recipe makes a LOT so unless you REALLY love Kahlua - I would plan on sharing with friends.


BEST HOMEMADE KAHLUA
from COOKS.COM

1 12-cup pot very strong coffee (chocolate flavored is best)
2 lbs. light brown sugar
4-6 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 liter 190 proof Clear Springs or Everclear
 
Brew a pot of strong coffee.  (I made mine about twice as strong as I would normally make my coffee.)
It looks like a Gevalia commercial but it is a total coincidence that I used Gevalia Chocolate Mocha coffee in my Gevalia coffee pot.



 



 
Bring coffee to a boil in dutch oven or large pot. Gradually add 2 lbs. light brown sugar and return to boil stirring constantly.













Let cool until room temperature.  Stir in vanilla and Everclear.










Pour into empty jars with tight fitting lids.  (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.)


Decorate with ribbon or raffia for Christmas gifts.


I think I'm going to go brew a cup of coffee now to pour my Kahlua into. 

Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment