Saturday, November 16, 2013

Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sometimes I need to be reminded that more is less. Less stress equals more peace, less worry means more joy and less stuff equals more contentment - you get the idea. My goal is to be perfectly content with exactly what I have and not to want for anything more.

I've been blessed with so much in my life and I certainly don't mean to imply that I've been deprived of anything. I truly believe that it's only by the grace of God that I have been blessed with so much in my life.  Even with all that I been given, it's easy to get caught up in the "I want more" mentality but the truth is that I'm much happier when I can find contentment with my current surroundings.

At the top of my list of "blessings" - my friends and family.  They bring me way more love and happiness and peace than anything I could buy at the mall.  The realization that Ryan will be off at college next year is never far from my mind which is a great reminder to me to be grateful for what I have today.


Courtney asked me to make her a batch of "regular" chocolate chip cookies a few weeks ago. My mind immediately went to all of the cool things that I could put in them - a chopped cadbury  chocolate bar, a handful of toasted pecans, a sprinkle of sea salt. All of those would be fantastic additions to a chocolate chip cookie but the truth was - she really just wanted a plain and simple chocolate chip cookie. Less is more - you see where I'm going with this now.

I ended up with this very simple chocolate chip cookie recipe. It does have a little cornstarch in the dough to make the cookies a little softer but other than that - a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. This recipe came from hungryhungryhighness.com. 

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yields: 3 dozen scrumptious cookies


  • 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips


In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until it's light and fluffy. 


Mix in the egg and the vanilla and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. 


In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly until it's incorporated. 


Add the chocolate chips.

Scoop into dough balls and refrigerate 30 minutes.  


Bake at 350 for 14 minutes.



Here's to learning to be grateful for less instead of more.

Ciao!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment