Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!!!



I hope that all of you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I am especially thankful for all of you today - my faithful blog followers who take the time to stop by my blog on a regular basis.  It makes me smile when I log in and see how many of you are reading my humble little food blog.  I love that you try my recipes and even send me your comments about them.  You are my inspiration to continue taking a ridiculous amount of pictures every day and to spend a crazy number of hours labeling and uploading them to my computer.  I am so grateful that I have you to share my recipes and pictures and stories with.  You are truly a blessing to me.














These are probably not the kind of turkeys that you expected to see on today's blog but I couldn't resist the temptation to share them with you.  The recipe isn't new - it's my favorite sugar cookie frosted with my favorite royal icing recipe.   I made these for a party for Courtney's class last week. 









 


This idea came from www.sweetsugarbelle.com.  Her sugar cookie turkeys came out much more professional looking so I won't even pretend that mine were even close to the quality of hers but I had a great time making them.  I think I need a little more practice. 

I took some step by step pictures along the way so that you can make your own platter of turkey cookies for your Thanksgiving table.
 

I have a turkey cookie cutter but that seemed too easy.  For these turkeys, I used an ice cream cone, a large leaf and a biscuit cutter.


I started with the ice cream cone.  I used yellow royal icing to outline a beak on the bottom of the cone.


I filled in (or flooded) the outline with royal icing that I thinned with water. 


Next I used white icing to outline and flood one eye.  I let it dry for a few minutes and then added the other. 


I outlined the face in a light brown colored royal icing.


I flooded that in with the same color icing.












Then I added two little nostrils to the beak.  In retrospect, I think I should have added these last.














I added black to the eyes with a thin, black royal icing and a paintbrush. 















I added a feather to the top of his head with a darker brown icing while I waiting for the eyeball to dry.













Next, I made eyebrows - my favorite part.  I put a drop of dark brown above each eye and drug a toothpick through it to make it arch.














I went back and added white pupils to the eyes.











And to finish him off, I added a red gobbler with red icing.


To round out my Thanksgiving platter, I also made some turkey track cookies...


and some brown and orange feathers.


Now this is what I call a Thanksgiving platter.

 

Happy Thankgiving friends.  Love you all.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment