Friday, September 20, 2013

Grilled Chicken Florentine Pasta



My two kids are as different as night and day - chocolate and vanilla - apples and oranges - you get the idea.  One thing that they DO have in common however, is that they're both very athletic. They have each chosen to use their athletic abilities in different sports though.  My son has always been a baseball player, a wrestler and in more recently, a runner.  (He tried basketball and football but quite honestly, he's built more like a wrestler than a football player.)  My daughter puts her athletic skills to good use on the soccer field. 

Most weekends, Ben and I have to "divide and conquer" so at least one of us can be at each child's event.  I envy parents that have all of their children involved in a single sport but then again, I get to see a different game all the time.  Up until now - that is.

This Fall, both of my kids decided to run on the high school Cross Country team - in addition to their other sports.  This is the very first time that the two of them have ever been teammates.  It does my heart good to watch them encouraging each other and cheering each other on during a race because lets face it - that encouragement, doesn't always happen at home.  


One big advantage of having them on the same team is transportation.  My daughter can ride home from practice with my son which saves dad and I from having to get her back and forth.  Since they practice right after school, they come home absolutely starving.  They're usually craving carbs so I've been trying to mix some lean protein in with the carbohydrates lately, to make a more balanced dinner. 

I found this recipe for grilled chicken Florentine pasta in a wine ad in my cooking light magazine.  I modified the recipe a little from the original (Like completely taking the wine out of it.) but it's still a great post-workout meal - and the kids loved it.

Grilled Chicken Florentine Pasta
2 bone in chicken breasts
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces whole wheat linguini
2 Tablespoons canola oil
3 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 cup whole milk
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
3 ounces parmesan cheese
4 cups fresh spinach







Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.  Roast chicken in a 350 degree oven until 165 degrees.  (About 40 minutes.)






 Let cool then slice into strips or pieces.










Cook pasta according to package directions.






Heat oil in skillet.  Add flour and garlic and cook until browned.


Add milk and broth, stirring with a whisk.









Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes until thickened.













Stir in cheese.  Add remaining salt and pepper.





 








Add spinach and stir until spinach wilts. 







Add pasta and chicken.


 Serve with whole grain, crusty Italian bread.


Viola - dinner in a jiffy for 2 ravenous cross country runners and 2 hungry parents.

I thought I would also share a few pictures of my two Cross Country runners with you today.  Both kids are having a great season so far.


I'll keep you updated on the team as the season progresses.  Thanks for reading my blog.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment