Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Tomato and Corn Pizza



I have to admit that with all of our traveling this summer, I haven't been very attentive to my garden this year.  Our unusually wet summer has done all of my watering for me so I don't really have an excuse to go and check on it very often.  The last time that I looked at it though, it was looking pretty waterlogged.  My carrots tops are turning black (which I am assuming is a result of too much water) and even my watermelon vines are rotting.  (Is it really possible to overwater a watermelon?  Sounds impossible.)  Anyway, my pumpkin seems to be coming along nicely.  I have a few flowers so I'm hoping to see some tiny pumpkins soon.  (I feel like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive.) 


Since I only have carrots and watermelon and pumpkins in my garden, I've had to rely on the farmers markets (and some generous neighbors) for my fresh tomatoes this summer.  Despite our wet conditions wreaking havoc on the crops, the tomatoes that I've gotten from the supermarket this summer have been delicious.

I had some fresh roma tomatoes from Fresh Market sitting on my counter on night when I was making pizza for the kids and inspiration struck.  (Every once in a while, it does happen.)  I decided to put all of my favorite summer flavors together into one fantastic pizza - for me! 

Tomato and Corn Pizza
3 plum tomatoes, sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
pizza dough
1/3 cup pesto
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sugar
3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves







Heat Big Green Egg or oven to 450.  Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper and let stand for 20 minutes.


 











Combine corn, parmesan and sugar.

 






Roll pizza crust to desired thickness.
 
 
Spread pesto on dough.


Arrange tomatoes on top.


Sprinkle corn mixture on top.
 

Top with fresh basil.
 

Bake until golden brown.   


I love it when my daughter is my guest photographer.  It makes cooking so much easier when I don't have to stop after every step and take pictures.


I have only one word for this pizza - YUM!

Ciao!



Tomato and Corn Pizza
3 plum tomatoes, sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
pizza dough
1/3 cup pesto
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sugar
3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves

Heat Big Green Egg or oven to 450.  Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper and let stand for 20 minutes.  Combine corn, parmesan and sugar.  Roll pizza crust to desired thickness. Spread pesto on dough.  Arrange tomatoes on top.  Sprinkle corn mixture on top.  Top with fresh basil.  Bake until golden brown.   


No comments:

Post a Comment