Friday, August 9, 2013

Toffee Crunch Cupcakes


Toffee Crunch cupcakes are really nothing new.  The base of this decadent cupcake is a chocolate cupcake recipe that I have referred to over and over again on my blog.  For those of you who are new to my blog, I copied the recipe for you below.  The salted caramel buttercream that adorns these treats should also not be unfamiliar to my regular blog followers.  It is something that I use over and over again to top all kinds of different cakes.  The combination of the rich, coffee infused cupcake with the salted caramel buttercream and crunchy toffee bits is what makes this cupcake unique.  They are truly decadent and surprisingly simple to make. 

Chocolate Cupcake
1cup flour
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons instant coffee
1/2 cup hot coffee
1/2 cup toffee bits
salted caramel buttercream
chocolate dipping sauce

Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt.  Add butter, eggs and vanilla.  Beat on medium for 1 minute.  Add eggs and beat 20 seconds.  Add hot coffee and beat until smooth.  Divide batter among muffins cups and bake 18-22 minutes at 350.

Caramel Buttercream
2 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
12 Tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 caramels, melted and cooled

Combine egg whites and sugar in the bowl of mixer and heat over a double boiler.  Whisk until frothy and warm to the touch.  Move mixing bowl to mixer and whip 1-2 minutes or until the consistency of shaving cream.  Add butter 1 tablespoon at a time while continuing to beat.  Beat in vanilla.  Stir in melted caramel with a rubber scraper and fold. 


 





Frost cooled cupcakes with a layer of buttercream.  Freeze for 10 minutes.












Dip sides of buttercream into chocolate sauce.  Press toffee bits into warm chocolate.







Finish with a swirl of caramel buttercream.


I didn't forget to include pictures of our Colorado adventures - I just thought I would post the recipe first today. 

I took my very first horseback ride while I was in Colorado.  It was wonderful.


My horse and I were perfectly compatible.  He was a very cautious and patient horse so Romeo and I got along just fine.


Sitting on the back of a horse was a great way to experience the Colorado and the incredible scenery that surrounded us. 


Our ride along the trails was going along quite well, until we stopped to try and take a group picture.  The horses must have been camera shy because they really didn't want to cooperate in the group photo shoot.  After 10 minutes of trying to turn the horses around we finally gave up.



 The view from the trail was breathtaking.



I think I'm ready to move out west and be a cowgirl.  I could get used to that scenery.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment