Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Pesto



After spending a couple of days in Denver, we headed west to Breckenridge, Colorado.  To say that it was breathtaking - is an understatement.


This is a view from the top of the hill, looking down on the city of Breckenridge...


 A few shots of downtown...



As you might expect, we did a little shopping in Breckenridge while we were there.  The girls discovered one particular store that caught their fancy.
 

One afternoon we rode the gondola to the top of the mountain...


The views from the top were spectacular.  There was even a little snow up there.


Just in case you were wondering, yes that snowball hit me square in the stomach. 








I think it rained in Georgia every day that we were on vacation.  The good news is that my garden was looking better than ever when I returned.  (I think my garden does better when I'm not at home - maybe I should go on vacation more often.)  My basil was especially prolific so I decided to use it up and make some fresh pesto.










Basil Genovese
4 cups fresh basil
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup pine nuts
3 Tablespoons pecorino cheese
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Wash basil and blanch in boiling water for 1 minute.


Remove from boiling water with a spider strainer and shock in ice water.


Add to food processor along with remaining ingredients. 










Process until finely chopped.












Store in a tupperware container in the refrigerator until ready to use.








This pesto is great on pasta, sandwiches and even pizza.  I will be posting my pesto pizza recipe soon so stay tuned for that.  If you haven't liked my blog of facebook, make sure that you do so you don't miss out on any of my recipes.  There are over 800 recipes on the blog - there's bound to be at least one that strikes your fancy.

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment