Friday, August 16, 2013

Chewy Oat Squares


I feel like I'm on a never ending quest to find healthy, crunchy, whole grain snack snacks that will satisfy my sweet tooth AND give me some extra protein.  Is that too much to ask?

Since school is back in session, I'm also getting back into the habit of packing lunches for the kids.  I think the kids are getting a little tires of granola bars so I'm looking for new, healthy snacks that I can tuck into their lunch boxes that will help keep them full during the school day.  If you have some healthy snack ideas that you like to give to your kids - I'd love for you to share them with me - please. 

I ran across a recipe for these Chewy Oat Squares in my Cooking Light magazine and I modified it quite a bit so I'm going to give you my version instead of the original.  


Chewy Oat Squares
1/4 cup apple juice
6 whole pitted dates
5 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips






Preheat oven to 325.  Line a 9" square pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.  Place juice and dates in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.












Melt butter in saucepan.
















Stir in date mixture, honey and salt.








Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips.


Carefully press into pan.


Bake 30 minutes at 325.  Let cool.


Place pan in refrigerator for 20 minutes before slicing into squares. 


I had the kids in mind when I started this recipe for oat squares but at the end of the day, it was me who couldn't seem to resist them.  I LOVED these.  They were the perfect crunchy, chocolatey, whole grain snack that I craved every afternoon.  This recipe is going to be dangerous.

Ciao!


Chewy Oat Squares
1/4 cup apple juice
6 whole pitted dates
5 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325.  Line a 9" square pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.  Place juice and dates in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Melt butter in saucepan.  Stir in date mixture, honey and salt.  Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips.  Carefully press into pan.  Bake 30 minutes at 325.  Let cool.  Place pan in refrigerator for 20 minutes before slicing into squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment