Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Bulgur and Peaches


I just never know what I'm going to find on refrigerator cleaning day.  The last time I emptied out my refrigerator, I found a bag of bulgur wheat in the very back corner of the frig.  Without a doubt - a leftover ingredient from a batch of vegetarian chili that I had made last winter.






I love the bulgur in my chili recipe so I figured it was worth giving it a chance as a stand alone side dish.  I found this recipe in my cooking light magazine.





Bulgur with Peaches and Mint
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked bulgur
2 Tablespoons champagne vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup diced peaches
2 1/2 ounces toasted hazelnuts
1/4 fresh mint leaves








Bring 2 cups of water and bulgur to a boil in a small saucepan.







Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 12 minutes.

 







Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.







Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients in a bowl.  


Stir in bulgur, peaches, slivered almonds and mint.




As it turns out, bulgur doesn't have a lot of flavor in its own.  It absorbs and takes on the flavors of the vinaigrette.  It has a nice texture to it and it really did fill me up.  I quite enjoyed my little dish of bulgur and it probably would have been even better with dried cranberries in place of the peaches. It was a nice change of pace from our usual side dishes.

Are you on Pinterest?  Me too.  You can use the Pinterest button the left side of the blog to follow me on Pinterest.  It's a great way to search my through recipes.  See you there.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment