Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sugar Cookies


Most people think that I write a food blog for the benefit of other people.  The truth is that the blog is a great way for me to store and record my recipes and stories for myself (and for anyone else who might be interested).  I am loving this new way to keep track of my recipes.  No more printing out page after page of recipes.  When I need to look up a recipe, I set up my ipad on the kitchen counter and open up the blog.  Instant recipes - I love it.

I looked up my sugar cookie recipe recently and realized that it needed a little updating.  It had the correct recipe but it was lacking in pictures and- for lack of a better word - pizazz.  So here is it, the same sugar cookie recipe - undated and with pizzazz.

Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter                    2 ½ cups flour
¾ cup sugar                    1 teaspoon baking powder
3 egg yolks                    ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla







Beat butter and sugar for 4 minutes.














Add egg yolks.  Add vanilla.

















Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.







Preheat oven to 350.  Roll dough to ¼“ thickness and cut with cookie cutters.


Place on baking sheets and bake 8 minutes.  In this case, I was making minnie mouse cookies and birdhouse cookies.


Cool cookies on a wire rack. 


Frost with royal icing.

Royal Icing
3 Tablespoons meringue powder
4 cups powdered sugar
6 Tablespoons warm water

Combine in mixer until desired consistency.

These were the birdhouse cookies.  (75 cookies and 8 birds on each one = a whole lot of birds.)


And these were the Minnie Mouse cookies.  (Well over 75 of these too.)


Sugar cookies - the possibilities are endless.  Do you have a great, creative and easy way to decorate sugar cookies?  Send me your ideas.

Ciao!

 Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter                    2 ½ cups flour
¾ cup sugar                    1 teaspoon baking powder
3 egg yolks                    ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla

Beat butter and sugar for 4 minutes.  Add egg yolks.  Add vanilla.  Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.  Divide dough into 4 portions, wrap and refrigerate overnight.  Preheat oven to 350.  Roll dough to ¼“ thickness and cut with cookie cutters.  Place on baking sheets and bake 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment