Thursday, May 16, 2013

Engine 2 Date - Nut Fruit Pie



There are so many things that I love about summer.  One of them being all of the fresh berries that grace the shelves of the supermarket during these warm summer months.  Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries - I love them all.

I found this recipe for date-nut fruit pie on the Engine 2 website.  This is a great way to use all of the summer fruits that appeal to you.  (Peaches, grapes, berries, etc.)

Date-Nut Fruit Pie

Ingredients for crust:

1 cup dates
1/3 cup walnuts
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Ingredients for filling:

2 to 3 bananas, sliced lengthwise
4 ounces strawberries, blended into puree
4 ounces strawberries, sliced
4 ounces raspberries
1 can mandarin oranges, drained

Instructions:

Blend crust ingredients together in a food processor to achieve a sticky consistency.









Press blended crust ingredients into a pie pan.







Lay the bananas on top of the crust and press along the sides.


Place strawberry slices on top of the bananas.


Pour strawberry puree over the strawberries and bananas, and press into the gaps.

 
Place berries and mandarin oranges on top of the pie.

 
Cover and refrigerate for one hour or longer before serving.  I sprinkled some slivered almonds on top of my pie also just to give it some more color. 


I sliced the pie after it had been in the refrigerator for about an hour and I couldn't seem to get clean slices out so I decided not to try and even get a slice out for a picture.  


Bring on the summer fruit - I'll get the crust ready.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment