Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Whole Wheat Crackers


I am such a sucker for whole grain bread dough recipes.  I found this recipe for Whole Wheat Crackers and it caught my eye because it was essentially whole wheat pizza dough turned into crackers.  When I make homemade pizza, sometimes, I don't want to make the 3 whole pizzas and I'm faced with an extra dough conundrum.  Sometimes I bake the extra dough and freeze it and sometimes I turn it into calzone.  This sounded like a great way to use up leftover pizza dough so I decided to give it a try.  I made a roasted vegetable calzones with half of my dough and whole wheat crackers with the other half.

Whole Wheat Crackers
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour







Combine all purpose flour, yeast and salt in mixing bowl  Add water and oil.














Beat with a paddle attachment for 2 minutes.







Attach the dough hook to the mixer and add in whole wheat flour.  Knead 5 minutes.


Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rest 10 minutes.   (Mine rested for 30 minutes because I got busy.)


Roll dough onto counter - as thin as you can.


Drizzle with olive oil and brush to coat dough evenly.  Season with salt, pepper and rosemary.









Cut dough into squares.















Place squares onto silpat lined baking sheets.







Bake 15 minutes at 400.


Enjoy.



I think that these crackers could have used a little more seasoning.  I had to dip mine in marinara to give me that little extra burst of flavor that they were lacking.  I think that I will spice them up with some basil and oregano next time.  Other than that, they were crispy and a great alternative to cheesy pizza.  I think I may be onto something here.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment