Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Snack Mix





I can remember making Chex mix at home when I was a kid.  I know I am showing my age now but when I was a kid, we HAD to make our own Chex mix.  We couldn't go the store and buy a bag of premade mix.  If we wanted Chex mix, we went to the grocery store, bought a box of cereal, a bag of pretzels and a can of peanuts and brought them home and put together your own snack mix.  We used to bake it in the oven - "stirring it every 10 minutes to prevent burning."  Then came the microwave version that only needed to be stirred once throughout the cooking time.  Shortly after that, bags of Chex mix were stocked in every grocery store, gas station and convenience store across America.  I for one, am not a fan of the bagged Chex Mix.  Call me old school but if I'm going to indulge in a handful of Chex Mix, I want the original, - baked in the oven - stirred every 10 minute - version of the snack.  This is my take on the original Chex Mix recipe.  (Another benefit of making it at home.) 



Snack Mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 cup peanuts
6 cups corn squares cereal
2 cups small pretzel shapes, such as twists or rings



1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Mix butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper in small bowl.

2.
Place remaining ingredients in large bowl. Add butter mixture; toss
until evenly coated.
Spread evenly on two 15x10x1-inch baking pans.













3. Bake 45 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time. Cool completely on wire rack. Store in airtight container.


Portion into baggies.




Is there anyone else out there who still makes their own Chex Mix at home or am I the only one?

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had Chex Mix in a while - but making it at home is the ONLY way to have it. The kind that comes already made is nasty tasting and who knows what chemicals lurk there.

    I like to put some Honey Nut Cheerios in mine, for a little burst of sweet in the salty mix! I also like pecans. Now you have my cravings for this started again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey Nut Cheerios sound like a great addition to the mix. I'm pretty sure my cereal-loving daughter is going to like that idea too.

    ReplyDelete