Saturday, April 6, 2013

Key Lime Pie Cupcakes



Key lime pie lover?  I have got something that you are going to love even more than pie - key lime pie cupcakes!   I couldn't really decided whether they needed toasted meringue frosting or cream cheese frosting so I did it both ways.  You can decide for yourself, which way is better.

I modified a vanilla cupcake recipe to make these yummy key lime flavored treats.

Key Lime Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
6 Tablespoons butter
1 egg plus 1 egg white
10 key limes, juiced
1/2 cup whole milk
green food coloring
1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
3 Tablespoons melted butter
2 Tablespoons sugar








Combine melted butter, graham cracker crumbs and 2 T. sugar. 







Press 1 T. mixture into the bottom of cupcake papers. Use the bottom of a glass or a tart tapper to press the mixture firmly into the paper liner.


Bake the crust for 5 minutes at 350. 
Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.  Add egg and egg white and beat well.


Beat in key lime juice.






I found a bag of key limes at Wal Mart - not the best looking key limes but I was pretty surprised that they even had them.







Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.   Add to batter, alternating with milk.


Add a touch of green food coloring. 


Fill cupcake liners half full with batter.  


Bake 18 minutes at 350.


These were the ones that I topped with my meringue frosting.



And then I whipped up a batch of cream cheese frosting.



So the question is ... will you try them with toasted meringue frosting or cream cheese frosting?   Send me a comment and let me know.

Ciao!





2 comments:

  1. My husband loves key lime pie. I'll be definitely making these with the meringue topping. I love your blog. I stumbled across it while looking for new bread recipes and found your pinwheel bread. Can't wait to try out your wonderful looking recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Let me know if you find great looking key limes. Te only ones I can find now are kind of wrinkly looking.

    ReplyDelete