Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Grilled Teriyaki Pork



Some days, I think I have it all together - I've planned my menu for the week, shopped for groceries and even prepped some of the meal ahead of time.  That is all good and well but the truth is that sometimes, even my best intentions (and preparations) get interrupted by - quite simply - life.

Last month one day, I was feeling confident that I had dinner under control - I had found a recipe for teriyaki pork in an issue of good and fresh magazine, and I remembered ALL of the ingredients that I needed while I was at the grocery store.  (A truly remarkable accomplishment.)  By 4:00 that afternoon, the pork was marinating, the grill was heating and I was hungry.  What could go wrong?  A short 15 minutes later, after a series of unfortunate circumstances, I found myself alone at home with an uncooked pork, a hot grill and a child who needed to be picked up from soccer practice.  What was I to do?  Wait until I returned with my soccer player to cook the pork and add an additional 40 minutes to our dinner time?  Too hungry for that option.  I decided to go ahead and put the pork on the heated Big Green Egg and let it cook while I made a quick trip to the soccer field.  I really had no idea how it would turn out but I closed the lid on my Big Green Egg and hoped for the best.  (Of course, I made sure that my neighbor was on standby, just in case there was a flare up on the BGE.)

When I got back home, I flung open the lid on the Egg, expecting the worst.  What I saw was a perfectly golden brown teriyaki pork tenderloin!  What are the odds?  (Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Big Green Egg?)  Maybe that's the trick - leave my food alone, run an errand, come back and voila - food cooked to perfection.  Perhaps I need to rethink my whole cooking technique. 

Grilled Teriyaki Pork
2 - 12 ounce pork tenderloins
1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon pepper
sesame seeds

Whisk together soy, rice vinegar, brown sugar, oil, ginger, garlic and pepper.






Pour over meat.   Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
This picture is really gross but I guess you get the idea.



Remove meat from marinade and grill for 40 minutes.  Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes.

 
Slice.


Serve.


Who says a delicious dinner needs to have a lot of fussy preparation?

Ciao!


Grilled Teriyaki Pork
2 - 12 ounce pork tenderloins
1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon pepper
sesame seeds

Whisk together soy, rice vinegar, brown sugar, oil, ginger, garlic and pepper.  Pour over meat.   Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.  Remove meat from marinade and grill for 40 minutes.  Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes.  Slice.

1 comment:

  1. I'm planning to cook some of the stir fry sauce recipe because I heard from my friends that these foods are truly delicious and easy to prepare. I think I found the recipe that I'm looking for and I'm sure my family will love this very much. I wish there were more recipes would post here specially stir fry sauce recipe. Thank you for posting this one.

    ReplyDelete