Thursday, January 31, 2013

Roasted Garlic Shrimp



I consider myself a pretty frugal grocery shopper.  I am not an extreme couponer but I do pay attention to how much I spend on groceries.  I save money by buying grocery store brand staples like cereals and granola bars but I spend a little more to get the freshest meats and seafood that I possibly can.  It's all about figuring out what is most important to me and my family.  When it comes to shrimp, I never buy the precooked, but I do look for shrimp that has already been deviened and butterflied.  Deviening and butterflying shrimp can take up to 30 minutes which is precious time when I'm in a hurry to get dinner on the table.

I adapted this recipe for Roasted Garlic Shrimp from the Jan/Feb 2013 Cook's Illustrated.  As usual, I needed to get dinner on the table in a hurry so the few extra pennies that I paid for the shrimp that had already been deviened and butterflied was WELL worth it.

Roasted Garlic Shrimp
1/4 cup salt
1 quart water
2 pounds shell on shrimp, butterflied
4 Tablespoons butter
6 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced

Dissolve salt in water and submerge shrimp in brine.  Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes.









Heat broiler to high.  Combine melted butter, oil, garlic, red pepper and pepper.






Remove shrimp from brine and pat dry on paper towels.








Add shrimp to garlic butter sauce along with parsley.




Arrange on a wire rack set in baking sheet.  (I put a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet.)


 Broil shrimp 2 minutes on each side.


Toss shrimp into a serving bowl.







I served my shrimp with multigrain tortillas and sliced avocado.



These shrimp tacos were ready in under 30 minutes.  Everyone peeled their own shrimp at the table before making their tacos - making it even easier. 


If you're craving a super simple shrimp dinner, give this broiled shrimp technique a try. 

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment