Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Lemon Snowdrops



For those of you who do not know me personally, I will let you in on an interesting fact about myself - I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio.  It goes without saying that I'm no stranger to cold weather or to snow.  I spent many winters in Northeast Ohio which means that I am all too familiar with the term "lake effect snow."  I rarely miss the weather in Cleveland but I do miss the snow.  We tend to get more ice than actual snow in Georgia.  Although in 2010, we had a record breaking snowstorm.   The kids were so excited that they gathered up their friends and built a gigantic snowman in our front yard. (With the help of a couple of ambitious dads of course.)


The kids still talk about that day and how much fun they had playing in the snow.  I doesn't look like there is much snow in the forecast for Atlanta in the near future so I will have to make my own snow.  (On my cookies of course.)  Lemon snowdrop cookies are light and refreshing and blanketed with a light covering of powdered sugar "snow." 



This is a Betty Crocker recipe that I found in a cookbook that I received as a wedding gift.  It's an oldie but goodie.

Lemon Snowdrops
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    
Cream butter and sugar.


Add lemon juice, flour and salt.


Drop balls of dough onto silpat lined baking sheets and flatten slightly.

 
Bake 8-10 minutes at 400.  Cool.

 
Combine filling ingredients in saucepan.


Heat until boiling.  Cook and stir 1 minute longerCool.


Put a scoop of filling on top of each cookie.



 Sprinkle with powdered sugar.



If there is no snow on the ground, make it snow on your dessert.  And you don't have to shovel this kind of snow so that you can get out of your driveway in the morning or brush it of of your car!


Ciao!


Lemon Snowdrops
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
   
Cream butter and sugar.  Add lemon juice, flour and salt.  Drop balls of dough onto silpat lined baking sheets and flatten slightly.  Bake 8-10 minutes at 400.  Cool.  Combine filling ingredients in saucepan.  Heat until boiling.  Cook and stir 1 minute longer. Put a scoop of filling on top of each cookie.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment