Monday, January 14, 2013

Chicken Nuggets


If you have children, chances are that you are way too familiar with the infamous chicken nugget.  You may have been so overexposed to this bite sized child friendly food that the thought of it sends your stomach into nausea.  You're not alone.  It was years after my children finally outgrew the nugget phase until I could even look at a chicken nugget without losing my appetite.   I would like to invite all of my adult blog readers with "nugget-phobia" to take another look at the chicken nugget.  This recipe may just change the way you think about chicken nuggets.  You may even become a fan again. 


Chicken Nuggets
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" pieces
1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
1/3 cup dill pickle juice
1 1/2 cups panko
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoons water
1 egg

 





Combine chicken, buttermilk and pickle juice.  Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.






Place panko in skillet and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until toasted.  Preheat oven to 400.  Remove chicken from marinade and sprinkle with salt.  Place panko in a ziploc bag.

 





Combine water and egg.  




 
Dip half of chicken in egg mixture.

 
Place in bag of panko and shake.  In my daughter's case, toss as high into the air as you possibly can. 


Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer.
 
 







Bake 20 minutes. 






I really probably don't need to write the recipe for honey-mustard because it is self explanatory but for those of you visual learners, I will post pictures of the dipping sauce making process.

Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon mustard

 

There you have it, chicken nuggets with honey mustard dipping sauce.
 

It took me a long time to gather up the courage to make chicken nuggets again but I'm glad that I did.  My kids still love them and Ben and I have learned to love them again too.

For those of you who have kids who like to cook, it's time to gather up your kids and get the kitchen messy.  This is a great recipe for kids to help with and the memories that you create while you make a meal together are well worth the time it takes to clean up the mess. 

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment