Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sweet Potato Burritos



I finished my 30 day Asylum workout just over a week ago.  It was crazy hard but I guess I should have known that from the title.  I guess that means that I've was committed to the asylum.  (Explains a lot)  This picture of me was taken after my very first asylum workout.  (That shirt was LIGHT grey when I started.)

Even though it was hard, I was in better shape and I felt better than I did when I started.  The workouts were tough and my appetite definitely increased over the last month.  I was constantly trying to find good sources of lean protein to satisify my overactive appetite. 

I found this recipe for sweet potato burritos on allrecipes.com and don't be fooled by the pictures - they're better than they look.  The recipe caught my eye because they're loaded with healthy ingredients.   Sweet potatoes and kidney beans are super foods in my book - nutrient rich and packed with protein.   The best part about these burritos is that they're not only good for you, they also taste delicious!  I even convinced my finicky teenager to eat one as post workout fuel. 

Sweet Potato Burritos
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 1/8 onion, chopped
  • 5/8 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 1/8 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 2/3 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
  • 3 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed (I used corn and whole wheat tortillas)
  • 1-1/2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
Peel sweet potatoes and boil until tender.  Mash.

 
 








Heat oil in skillet and add onion and saute until soft.  Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.






Add beans and mash.


  








Stir in water.





 
Add spices, mustard and soy sauce.  Spread 1/3 of mixture on top of each tortilla.  
 
Top with mashed sweet potatoes.
 
 





Sprinkle with cheese.  Roll up burritos style.  (Something I clearly didn't know how to do.) 






Place on a baking sheet and bake 12 minutes at 350. 
 

 Don't be fooled by the pictures - these burritos are delicious. 




The author of this recipe claimed that they were addicting but I had no idea HOW addicting.  They were so good - I couldn't stop eating them.  It's a good thing that they're healthy because I couldn't stop eating once I started eating.    

If you are trying to get more protein and vegetables into your diet, you need to make these burritos.  

Ciao!


Sweet Potato Burritos
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 1/8 onion, chopped
  • 5/8 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 1/8 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 2/3 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
  • 3 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
  • 1-1/2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
Peel sweet potatoes and boil until tender.  Mash.  Heat oil in skillet and add onion and saute until soft.  Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.  Add beans and mash.  Stir in water.  Add spices, mustard and soy sauce.  Spread 1/3 of mixture on top of each tortilla.  Top with mashed sweet potatoes.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Roll up burritos style.  (Something I clearly didn't know how to do.)  Place on a baking sheet and bake 12 minutes at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment