Saturday, August 11, 2012

Gingersnaps



Gingersnaps are one of my favorite cookies.  Did you ever have one straight out of the freezer?  (Delicious)  I tried a new gingersnap recipe this week that I found in a Cook's Illustrated magazine.  I love my tried and true gingersnap recipe but the way I look at it, there's always room for improvement.  I thought I would give this new recipe a try and see how it measured up against my gingersnap recipe.

Gingersnaps
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
pinch cayenne
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tablespoons fresh grated ginger
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar

 



Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.  Heat butter in a skillet until just beginning to brown.  Transfer to bowl with spices.  Cool 2 minutes. 







 





Add brown sugar, molasses and fresh ginger.  















Add egg and yolk. 







Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.  


 






Scoop dough with a small cookie scoop.  







 








Roll into balls.   







 







Roll in sugar.  








Place dough balls on a silpat lined cookie sheet.  

 
Bake on top rack of oven for 15 minutes.  Move to lower rack and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes on silpat sheets.  


Move to racks to cool completely.    


  


Have you noticed that the more I like something, the more pictures that I take?
 
I also packed some of these cookies to send with my daughter to Open House at school last week.   It's hard for me to believe that this school year is already underway.




It's official - I have a new favorite gingersnap recipe  These cookies were fantastic.  (Did you notice that that was past tense?)  These were REALLY yummy and I was proud to share them with the teachers at school.


Ciao!



Gingersnaps
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
pinch cayenne
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tablespoons fresh grated ginger
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar

Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.  Heat butter in a skillet until just beginning to brown.  Transfer to bowl with spices.  Cool 2 minutes.  Add brown sugar, molasses and fresh ginger.  Add egg and yolk.  Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.  Scoop dough with a small cookie scoop.  Roll into balls and roll in sugar.  Place dough balls on a silpat lined cookie sheet.  Bake on top rack of oven for 15 minutes.  Move to lower rack and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes on silpat sheets.  Move to racks to cool completely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment