Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cabbage Salad with Grilled Sweet Potatoes


Cooking Light magazine featured a Grilled Sweet Potato and Napa Cabbage Salad with Lime Vinaigrette this month.   (Even the title is a mouthful.)  I used that recipe as my inspiration for this yummy salad.  I modified the recipe to fit my own personal taste and my busy schedule.

Cabbage Salad with Grilled Sweet Potatoes (My version)
3 medium sweet potatoes
5 Tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons water
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
3 cups shredded cabbage (I bought prepackaged shredded cabbage.)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tablespoons green onions, chopped
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 avocado, sliced

Peel potatoes and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices.  Brush both sides with 1 Tablespoon oil.   Sprinkle with salt and pepper.


Put potatoes on grill and cook 8 minutes on each side.  Combine lime juice, water, honey, and jalapeno.  (I put mine in this handy little Jamie Oliver flavor shaker.)


Toss cabbage, onions and cilantro together in serving bowl.  Arrange avocado slices on top of cabbage and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.


Cut potato slices into strips.


Arrange over cabbage.
 








Drizzle with dressing and serve.








The truth is that I was the only one who ate this salad for dinner.  I bought some steaks for Ben and the kids and Ben cooked the potatoes at the same time that he was grilling the meat.  Ben and the kids had the extra potato strips alongside their steaks as a nutritious side dish and I was perfectly happy with my delicious cabbage salad.  (sans steak)  This salad was easy to put together and while Ben was acting as "Grill Master" I got the cabbage and vegetables ready.  It was super satisfying and delicious.

Ciao!




Cabbage Salad with Grilled Sweet Potatoes (My version)
3 medium sweet potatoes
5 Tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons water
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
3 cups shredded cabbage
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tablespoons green onions, chopped
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 avocado, sliced


Peel potatoes and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices.  Brush both sides with 1 Tablespoon oil.   Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Put potatoes on grill and cook 8 minutes on each side.  Combine lime juice, water, honey, and jalapeno.  Toss cabbage, onions and cilantro together in serving bowl.  Arrange avocado slices on top of cabbage and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.  Cut potato slices into strips and arrange over cabbage.  Drizzle with dressing and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment