Sunday, March 25, 2012

Burgers, Cars and Rocks


It's probably no surprise to anyone that my newly licensed 16 year old son put a car at the top of his birthday list.  Not just any car, he picked out a red Ferrari as his vehicle of choice.  (I think he might be a little confused about who his parents are.)  It shouldn't surprise you to find out that we did NOT buy him a red Ferrari for his birthday - but we did eat one.  Car cakes are definitely not my area of expertise and since my fondant skills are completely self taught, you will have to use your imagination to see this as a red Ferrari.








 

My family really knows how to draw out a birthday celebration for as long as we possibly can.  A full 10 days after his birthday, we are still celebrating my 16 year old son's birthday with burgers and cake. 

Yesterday was a perfect afternoon to fire up the Big Green Egg and cook some hamburgers for lunch. 
 

If that doesn't make your mouth water for a juicy hamburger - something's wrong.  I made a double batch of burgers and I put half of them in the freezer to save for another day.

Italian Meatball Burgers
8 ounces sweet turkey sausage          
1 pound ground sirloin
1 teaspoon oregano                     
1 teaspoon basil                   
½ teaspoon salt                 
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.  I am so lucky to have an amazing sous chef who loves to mix meat with her hands.   


Divide beef into 6 equal portions and shape each into a patty.



I put my extra burgers on a waxed paper lined baking sheet.  I freeze them flat on the sheet and once they are frozen, I transfer them to ziploc bags. 

 

Grill.
 





These burgers were quite tasty.  My husband said that they had a little "kick" to them - must have been the sausage. 


After our protein packed lunch, we headed to Atlanta Rocks to do some rock climbing.  



 We all had a lot of fun on the rocks.

Ciao!


Italian Meatball Burgers
8 ounces sweet turkey sausage          
1 pound ground sirloin
1 teaspoon oregano                     
1 teaspoon basil                   
½ teaspoon salt                 
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine sausage, spices and sirloin.  Divide beef into 6 equal portions and shape each into a patty.  Grill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment