Thursday, February 23, 2012

She's gone vegan


I made my very first batch of Vegan cookies yesterday.  Much to my surprise, they were just as delicious as their egg and butter filled counterparts.  The question I'm sure you're asking yourself right now is "Why in the world would she make vegan cookies?"  Well, I haven't become a vegan or even a vegetarian but I am preparing to host a heart healthy dinner party this Saturday night and I needed a dessert that I could serve to my guests.  I scoured the internet looking for oatmeal cookie recipes that didn't contain any dairy, eggs, butter, trans fats or white flour.  It wasn't easy to find but I finally stumbled across this recipe on egglesscooking.com.  Their version of oatmeal cookies contained vegan margarine sticks and almond milk in place of butter and cow's milk and dried cranberries in place of raisins.  I was convinced these would be just as good as regular oatmeal cookies so I headed to the store to get my ingredients.  I had never bought vegan margarine sticks before and I can honestly say that I was shocked at the price of this butter substitute.  (nearly 7.00 per pound!)  It took me several minutes to put aside my usual budget friendly attitude and put the sticks in my cart but I finally convinced myself that it was worth it. 

Vegan Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies 
3/4 cup vegan margarine
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon allspice
3 cups oats
1 cups cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts







Cream butter and sugar.














Add milk, vanilla, flour, baking soda and allspice.















Stir in oats, cranberries and walnuts.








Scoop batter using a cookie scoop onto silpat lined baking sheets.


Bake 12 minutes at 350.


These little cookies were really addicting.  I ate one warm then I talked myself into eating another once they had cooled - just to make sure they were still good.  (They were)



Make sure you check out my blog this Sunday (2/26/2012) for all of the recipes from my heart healthy dinner party.  You definitely won't want to miss this post. 

Ciao!




Vegan Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies 
3/4 cup vegan margarine
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon allspice
3 cups oats
1 cups cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts


Cream butter and sugar.  Add milk, vanilla, flour, baking soda and allspice.  Stir in oats, cranberries and walnuts.  Bake 12 minutes at 350.



1 comment:

  1. Hello there! Have you ever faced a position when someone has robbed you online and took any of your intellectual property? Can't wait to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete