Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Here's the rub

 
Dry rubs can add excitement and fun to almost any type of meat - chicken, pork or beef.  There is no exact formula that I use to create my dry rub but I start with a basic recipe and let my creativity flow.  The key is remembering to write down my rub formula so that I can recreate it again and again. 


Basic Dry Rub
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon white pepper
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon oregano
4 Tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon celery salt
1 Tablespoon salt

I use this basic rub on all different kinds of meat.  Putting the rub on the meat well in advance and allowing the flavors to absorb into the meat in the refrigerator in crucial.

Last week I put my dry rub on some split chicken breasts and put them in the refrigerator for about 8 hours.


I took them out of the refrigerator and put them on the Big Green Egg to cook.


I like to cook chicken with the skin on.  In my very unscientific opinion, I believe it seals in the juices while the chicken cooks.  It's also a great way to protect the meat from getting too charred - I pull off the skin and no one ever has to know that I over browned the chicken. 


If you are looking for a great way to eat healthier in 2012 - start with grilled chicken.  It's easy to make and the rub makes it extra flavorful and delicious.  Cook extra chicken and save some for lunches.  I like to put chicken in my wraps, salads, sandwiches and soups for a little extra protein power.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment