Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cherry Almond Biscotti



Opening presents on Christmas morning is a tradition in our house.  I know that some families start their present unwrapping on Christmas Eve and my kids are always trying to convince me to start a day earlier.   I am big on traditions though and I am sticking to our plan of Christmas morning unwrapping.  I am excited that we have family coming to our house for Christmas this year.  Having extra guests in our house on Christmas morning means that we will get to enjoy an extended present opening time.   You can imagine that my kids are not interested in eating breakfast before we open gifts so I offer everyone  hot coffee and some simple snacks to munch on while we open presents.  I make a big breakfast for everyone to enjoy after all of the gifts have been opened on Christmas morning.  The perfect Christmas morning treat - biscotti.

I have several different biscotti recipes - Chocolate Amaretto, Almond, Cranberry Pistachio and Cherry Almond Biscotti.  I made a batch of the Cherry Almond Biscotti last week to freeze and save for  Christmas.  These crispy cookies are loaded with crunchy almonds and tangy dried cherries.  We eat them for breakfast and then snack on them throughout the day.

Cherry Almond Biscotti
3 eggs                                         ¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter                             1 cup dried cherries
1 teaspoon almond extract            (or cranberries)
3 2/3 cup flour                          1 cup whole almonds
½ teaspoon baking powder

Cream butter, 1 cup +1 Tablespoon sugar.


Beat in 2 eggs and 1 yolk and extract.


Combine dry ingredients and add to butter.



Knead in fruit and almonds.




Divide dough in half and shape each into a 12x3” loaf.


Beat egg white and brush over dough.  Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar.


Bake 28 minutes at 350.  Cool 10 minutes.


 Slice into ½” slices on an angle.


Lay flat on baking sheets.


Bake 10 more minutes on each side.



These biscotti cookies freeze really well.  I packaged mine into gallon size freezer bags and put them in my freezer to save for Christmas morning.  They are really good with a cup of coffee or hot tea.  They are a perfect little snack to eat while everyone opens up their presents from under the Christmas tree.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment