Monday, October 17, 2011

Pomegranate Season


My kids LOVE pomegranates.  They look forward to pomegranate season with great anticipation and as soon as they appear in grocery stores, they are asking me to buy them.  They eat the tiny, juicy red seeds as fast as I can pull them out of the fruit. 






One of the great things about being a food blogger is participating in the Foodbuzz tastemakers program.  I get to sample all kinds of new and different foods.  As part of the program, I recently received a free bottle of Marzetti's Simply Dressed salad dressing.  There are 10 different Simply Dressed dressings to choose from and naturally I chose Pomegranate flavor.












I made a simple spinach salad with mandarin oranges, toasted almonds, pomegranate seeds and crumbled feta.  I drizzled the Pomegranate dressing over the salad and it was delicious.

I also decided to marinate some red snapper in the Pomegranate dressing.  I whisked together 1/4 cup dressing, 2 Tablespoons lime juice and 2 teaspoons of soy sauce.








I poured the marinade over the fish and topped each filet with a sprig of fresh thyme.  I let the fish marinate in the refrigerator for an hour and then baked it for 20 minutes at 375.










The fish recieved mixed reviews from my family.  I liked the subtle sweetness that the dressing gave to the snapper.  My mom thought it took something away from the fish flavor and my dad commented that it needed even more of the pomegranate sauce.   How's that for a broad range of opinions?

So bottom line - I really liked this salad dressing and I'm adding it to my grocery list for next week.  (I want to try the balsamic vinaigrette flavor too.)  I would never have guessed that it only has 60 calories and 4 1/2 grams of fat per serving.  It is full of body and flavor and left me wanting more.  Maybe it will even get my kids to eat more salads - you never know.

I couldn't let the day go by without sharing a few more pictures of our weekend.   We had a picnic in Amacalola park yesterday with my parents and Ben's parents.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day.







Have a great Monday.
Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment