Saturday, October 8, 2011

Are they edible?



We took my daughter and her friend to a UGA women's soccer game last night.  We had a lot of fun cheering for the team.  They ended up winning 4-3 in the second overtime period.   It was an exciting game.  This afternoon we get to watch my daughter's soccer team play.  It's a great weekend for soccer. 


Ever since I planted sweet potato vines in my front yard, my family has been wondering when we're going to dig the potatoes and eat them.  I'm pretty sure that these particular vines are mainly for landscaping purposes and that is why I planted them.  I would like to know however, if these potatoes are edible.  If you know anything about harvesting these sweet potatoes, please send me a comment. 


Sweet potato bread
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup warm milk
1/4 cup canola oil
3 Tablespoons honey
1 cup flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoons cold milk

Dissolve yeast in warm water in bowl of standing mixer.  Add sweet potatoes, milk, oil, honey, flour, cornmeal, salt, thyme and 2 cups of whole wheat flour.  Beat until smooth.  Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a dough.  Knead 6-8 minutes. Put into a greased bowl, cover and let rise for an hour.  
Punch dough down and divide into 6 equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a 20" rope.  Place 3 ropes on a silpat lined baking sheet and braid.  Repeat with remaining dough.  Cover braids and let rise 30 minutes.  
Brush loaves with cold milk and bake 35 minutes at 350.  

My husband said that this bread reminded him of Thanksgiving stuffing.  (I think it was the thyme.)  I have to agree with his analysis so I wrapped the second loaf and put it in the freezer to save for Thanksgiving dinner. That's one less thing to bake on Thanksgiving day when my oven is already running in overdrive. 


Have a great Saturday.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment