Sunday, September 11, 2011

Simple Scones



If you read my blog regularly you probably already know that I send a snack every week to my daughter's FCA Bible study at school.  I try and send relatively healthy snacks that still appeal to teenagers.


Last week, I was so busy working on a cake that my husband had to step in and bake a batch of blueberry muffins to send to school.  (He did an awesome job by the way.)  I think I've underestimated his cooking skills.


A couple of weeks ago, I made a batch of honey scones for snack.  They came together really quickly and the kids seemed to really like them.

Honey Scones
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
raw sugar for sprinkling

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger and salt.  Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until crumbly.  In another bowl, combine honey and 1/2 cup cream.  Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut with cookie cutter.  Place cookies on silpat baking sheets and brush with remaining cream.  Sprinkle with raw sugar and bake 18 minutes at 350.

My only suggestion if you are planning to make these snacks is to store them in the freezer until you are ready to serve them.  The ones that sat out on the counter overnight absorbed moisture and were a little less crispy than the batch that I put in the freezer overnight. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment