Friday, September 23, 2011

Happy Fall


Today is the first day of Fall.   The trees in Atlanta are just starting to show their true colors.




I love this time of year.  Fall always puts me in the mood to bake so to commemorate the start of this new season,  I baked a couple of loaves of pumpkin bread.  I found this recipe in the Taste of Home Fall Baking magazine that I picked up at Sams last weekend. 

Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread
4 1/2 cups flour                                     Filling
3 cups whole wheat flour                     1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cup oats                                                1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar                             1 teaspoons cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
5 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup pumpkin
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup raisins

In bowl of standing mixer, combine 2 coups flour, wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, sugar and yeast.  Beat in water, pumpkin, applesauce and oil.  Add eggs and beat until smooth.  Stir in remaining flour.  Add raisins.  Knead 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.

 Punch dough down and divide into 2 pieces.  Roll each portion into an 18” rectangle.  Brush with butter.  Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over dough.
Roll up and place each loaf in a greased loaf pan.  Cover and let rise 30 minutes. 
Bake bread for 55 minutes at 350. 


I had a slice of pumpkin bread with a salad for dinner - it was fabulous.

I cut another slice for breakfast.  I toasted it and added cream cheese - even better.

Tomorrows breakfast - toasted pumpkin bread with a drizzle of honey.  Can't wait to try it. 

I wrapped the second loaf of pumpkin bread and put it in my freezer for next month.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment